Consider This Before Changing Your Dental Insurance
It’s the time of year when we often have to think about making changes to our dental insurance plans. As the benefit year comes to an end or you are preparing to start a new job, it’s necessary to put some thought into the choosing the dental plan that will work best for you and your family. Dentists in Southern Pines are familiar with the insurance decision-making process, and advise you to ask yourself the following questions:
- Will you have the freedom to choose the dentist of your choice?
- Is there a waiting period before your benefits become effective?
- What percentage of routine dental care is covered? (A good plan covers approximately 80-100%)
- What percentage of major dental care is covered? (A good plan covers approximately 50-80%)
- Which diagnostic and preventive services are covered? (Sealants, full mouth x-rays, fluoride treatments, etc.)
- If you have missing teeth, are implants, dentures, and bridges covered?
- Is orthodontic treatment covered? Is there an age limit?
- Is TMJ treatment covered? Does this include occlusal or bite guards?
- Are there limitations for preexisting conditions such as missing teeth or partial dentures?
- Does the plan include coverage for dental specialists such as oral surgeons, periodontists, and endodontists?
- What is the annual maximum benefit? (The maximum for an average plan is about $1000, a great plan is $2500)
The answers to these questions will help you to identify the insurance features that are most important to you and your family. If you tend to have numerous or complicated dental needs, then you’ll want to look for a plan that offers lots of freedom, a broad range of coverage, and a higher annual maximum benefit. If annual checkups and cleanings are most important to you, then you might opt for a plan with minimal coverage. For a better idea of your dental needs in order to choose the best plan, consult a Southern Pines dentist today.